Certosa di Pavia is a Carthusian monastery built in 1396 by Gian Galeazzo Visconti, the Milanese ruler.
This charterhouse is 5 miles north of Pavia. It is a long walk from the train station "Certosa di Pavia" around the monastery wall.
The Carthusian order was founded by St. Bruno in 1044. These monks practiced seclusion and ascetism, but the Certosa is renowned for Gothic and Renaissance styles.
facade of Certosa
|rusted iron door|
|side view of the church with cupola.|
|In 1396, Gian Galeazzo Visconti, the first Duke of Milan, commissioned the building of Certosa to the architect Marco Solari. The bas relief shows laying the foundation stone.|